Search This Blog

Friday, January 15

15/1/2010


HERE. SAFE.










Managed to switch seats on the plane next to Mike & Emily. Largest plane I've ever been on. Wine commenced. Almost all the passengers were students. The approx. 150 students probably consumed all the wine Alitalia had on the plane because
all the < 21 students had to each have a glass with dinner. The food was Italian, the announcements were in Italian, the flight attendants were Italian. Jumping right in was a great way to start picking up the basics.
Our updates were in Celsius and KM. I'm not sure how far 7800 KM is but that was the distance from Chicago-Rome. About 9 hours on the plane. Up was the only movie shown, I watched Dexter.
30 minutes of sleep and a gross cup of coffee and we were in Rome waiting 2+ hours for our bags. Luckily the bright green of Lakeside Hoops jumped among the sea of black suitcases. We boarded coach buses to drive us about 45 minutes to JFRC. It is a beautiful day, glad I didn't bring my Uggs, but I'm not sure of the temperature... I'll have to figure out the conversions sooner or later. It's currently 14:25 = 2:25 p.m.












Everything is in Italian and English; signs, directions etc. Very convenient. I keep reaching for my phantom phone. Weird not having one or wifi. Forgot my Loyola I.D... not that big of a deal, but you would think I would remember something so basic... That seems to be the only thing I have forgotten.

Conor, John, and Shane beat us to the Rome Center. Conor has already had 2 bloody noses. More to come I expect. My room is great, beautiful view of orange trees. My room mate is a very nice Jr. at Loyola from Indianapolis. The Rome Center is all in one building set on the top of a hill. Tried the cafeteria food.. more to come about the food situation. I DID eat some vegetables. Green beans. Big step. Now to unpack before a survival Italian course at 5:00.

Picture 1=
Emily, Mike, Me, and Annie @ O'hare
Picture 2 = Mysterious overhead compartment that kept opening during the flight. I ducked and covered. RIP Billy Mays.

LEX


No comments:

Post a Comment